Corona virus pandemic has significantly disrupted various sectors in India including oil and gas, automobiles, aviation, agriculture, retail, etc. We can’t ignore that hardly a sector would remain unaffected by the crisis. The impact may be more or less.
One such critical area, where the need for change has become evident, is education sector in India.
The effects of the corona virus and thereby its preventive measures, has upended the life of students, parents and teachers.
Factors affecting the evolution of the education system
- The lockdown has generated uncertainty over the exam cycle. May be universities may face impact in terms of a slowdown in student internships and placements, lower fee collection that can create hurdles in managing the working capital.
- Another major concern is that it can affect the paying capacity of several people in the private sector, which is catering to a sizeable section of the students in the country.
- Student counselling operations are also affected.
- Several institutions may pause faculty hiring plans for existing vacancies which in turn affect quality and excellence.
- Structure of schooling and learning includes teaching and assessment methodologies and due to closure, it will be affected.
Given the period we’ve spent in lockdown and the observations of our abrupt transition to online learning, we’ve found the time to think and the direction in which we must apply our efforts.
In the face of a crippling pandemic, technology has emerged as a major lifesaver. Communication is a major key to our interconnected existence and technology is the driving force that maintains our connections.
- Technology may play an important role in the lockdown period like study from home and work from home. In India, some private schools could adopt online teaching methods.
The current crisis is an opportunity for all of us to take apt precautions and utilise our times at homes productively as we train ourselves and enhance our skills.
STEAMEDU is productively using this #lockdown time by organising Highly Engaging Online Classes for students through workshops and webinars on Virtual Robotics,App Development etc focusing on 21st century skills using S.T.E.A.M. Education(a world-wide education model based on Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics)
Lockdown is supposed to constraint our movements beyond the boundaries of our homes but our minds have no such restraints; let us unleash the best version of ourselves by honing the following skills
Teaching students to think “outside of the box” causes them to approach tasks differently. They learn to be creative by utilising a wide variety of thought processes and skills throughout a classroom day.
Approaches grounded in visual art, drama, and creative writing give students hands-on training in delivering a message and doing so with confidence. When combined with science, mathematics and technology-based topics, students learn to tackle tough subjects with self-assurance.
Learning new skills, whether technical or artistic, teaches students to approach new, potentially challenging situations with a positive attitude. Using STEAM, teachers can help students solve problems creatively using a variety of methods.
STEAM classrooms are highly collaborative, with students working together to grasp new information using multiple access points. They learn to share responsibility and compromise by working on group projects that incorporate multiple disciplines.
A change in the purpose of learning
The course of learning and the way curriculum is taught may change. Aspects that were once considered fundamental to education may be revised to largely accommodate life skills of the future.
Not just careers, but residents of the future as well will require skills like resilience, adaptability, collaboration, communication, empathy, creativity and emotional intelligence. Learning in schools will have a new purpose, and it will be a major deviation from the information-focused education of today.
Perhaps, the world may never go back to what it was pre-pandemic. But we can count on it to adapt to the future, irrespective of what it contains.
Visit our website and facebook page for further information